“But an hour is coming, and now is, when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth; for such people the Father seeks to be His worshipers.”
So a few years back I started arranging music in the spirit of Charles Wesley. He used common bar tunes to write hymns. I think this made the songs easy to catch on for singing, as well as making the content accessible. The familiarity of the tune became a bridge for the doctrine and scripture within the lyrics.
I was inspired by this concept. I also took popular songs that may be played at a bar and changed the lyrics to scripture. The project started as something for my personal devotional time. I’ve played a few of the songs for friends, and they encouraged me to take the project further.
Seeing as how I spend most of my time with four little people, it has been slow going. I have finally gotten a handful of the songs recorded. Nothing special, more of a rough cut, but I plan to share them here as a start.
CHARLIE WES Part One- Arranged and performed by: Etta Woods
- “God of Peace” 1 Corinthians 14:26-33 Cover song: “Let Me Love You” by Justin Bieber, DJ Snake
2. “Spirit Poured Out” Joel 2:21-29 Cover song: “Wrecking Ball” Miley Cyrus
3. “Faithful Word” Isaiah 55:8-13 Cover song: “Just The Way You Are” Bruno Mars
4. “Abram Believed” Genesis 15:1-7 Cover song: “I’m Not The Only One” Sam Smith
5. “Hope-Praise-Help” Psalm 43 Cover song: “Diamonds” Rihanna
6. “Darkness is Passing” 1 John 2:8b-13 Cover song: “Just Give Me a Reason” Pink, Nate Ruess
7. “These 3 are 1” 1 John 5:7-12 Cover song: “Find Me” Sigma
To hear the rest of the project and other worships songs by Etta go to Etta’s SoundCloud